Media File
Watcombe Pottery
Date: 1871–1962
Biography: Watcombe Pottery, originally known as The Watcombe Terra-Cotta Clay Company, was started by G J Allen in 1871 to use the red clay found around the area of Torquay in Devon. The company was bought by Evans & Co in 1884 after the death of Allen, and in 1901 was acquired by Hexter, Humpherson & Co, who amalgamated it with Aller Vale Pottery. The new pottery was known as Royal Aller Vale & Watcombe Co. The company continued to produce pottery until 1962.