Biography: Wardle and Company was founded in the mid-19th century by James Wardle and was located in Shelton, Staffordshire. The company was not particularly successful, until James’s death in 1871 and the business passed into the hands of his wife, Eliza, who carried on the business under the same name.
With the help of her family and friends Eliza expanded the export business that her husband had initiated and soon moved to a larger factory in Hanley (Staffordshire). In 1885 a new range of art pottery was introduced, and the company moved into a yet higher gear. In 1899 her son-in-law, David Jones, took over management of the factory and introduced new techniques - tube-lining and slip decoration.
Jones died in 1908, and the company was taken over by J A Robinson & Sons Ltd. The name changed to Wardle Art Pottery. Wardle Art Pottery was later amalgamated with Cauldon Potteries, and finally ceased trading in 1935.