Biography: Royal Doulton (formerly Doulton and Co. Ltd) was a manufacturer of ceramic stoneware and earthenware pottery first established by John Doulton in the Lambeth area of London in 1815. His son, Henry Doulton, took over the running of the Lambeth pottery. From the early 1870s, talented artists were engaged to decorate an extensive variety of art pottery, including vases and figurines. Leading artists at included George Tinworth, the Barlow sisters and Mark Marshall. Their talents were recognized by royal collectors which led to the title Royal Doulton bestowed by King Edward VII when he came to the throne in 1901. The 20th century studio flourished with artists such as Leslie Harradine and Harry Simeon until its closure in 1956.