Media File
Walter Child
Date: jeweler and designer, 1840-1930
Biography: Walter Child (1840 – 1930) and his younger brother Harold (1848 – 1915) founded their business Child & Child in 1880 at 1 Seville Street in Knightsbridge, London. Their maker’s mark, an impressed mark of a flower, like a marguerite, was registered with Goldsmiths' Hall as silver plate workers. However, they did not begin making jewelry until 1891, after moving the business to 35 Alfred Place West (now Thurloe Street) in South Kensington. Although they created work in both traditional and revivalist styles, they are best known today for their arts and crafts jewelry. They are particularly associated with enamel work in bright colors such as green and turquoise, sometimes with gemstones, and others just by itself. Their patrons included the pre-Raphaelite painter Edward Burne-Jones, who may have commissioned them to make his own designs. The brothers’ partnership was dissolved in 1899, but Harold continued to work out of the Kensington address. The firm closed at his death in 1915.

Related works