Biography: Anna Whelan Betts studied at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, in Paris with GCE Courtois, and with Howard Pyle. Her first commission was from Collier's Weekly in 1899, and she worked steadily in book and magazine illustration until 1925, when she retired because of failing eyesight. Much of her work was done for publications and texts marketed primarily to women. Her style and technique often feature a decorative two-dimensionality in figures and backgrounds, and a sensitve use of color.
In Philadelphia Betts was active in the Watercolor Club. In 1915 she was awarded a bronze medal at the San Francisco Panama-Pacific International Exposition.
When Betts retired, she visited New Hope, Pennsylvania, and took a position as overseer of school's domestic affairs. She also served as the art teacher for twenty years. After leaving the school in 1948, Betts shared a house in New Hope (PA) with her sister, fellow illustrator and Pyle student Ethel Franklin Betts Bains. In Anna's later years, she divided her time between New Hope and the Philadelphia area.