Two men paddling canoe with lumberjack on river
Dimensions: 35 x 27 in. (88.9 x 68.6 cm)
frame: 37 1/2 x 29 3/8 in. (95.3 x 74.6 cm)
Illustration Citation: Date and place of publication not identified
Credit Line: Louisa du Pont Copeland Memorial Fund, 1974
About: Born in Huron, Dakota Territory (now South Dakota), Frank Stick is best known for his paintings of hunting and fishing. In his young adulthood, he lived as a guide in Wisconsin, where he made a variety of sketches that -- accompanied by his accounts of wilderness experiences -- he sold to the sporting magazines made popular by Theodore Roosevelt's passion for the outdoors. This success spurred Stick to formal art training at the Chicago Art Institute and then with Howard Pyle in Wilmington, where he joined the company of N. C. Wyeth, Frank Schoonover, and Harvey Dunn, among others, in 1906.
He established his professional studio in New Jersey. His work appeared consistently in outdoor magazines as well as in general interest ones. In 1929, he left the field of commercial illustration and moved to North Carolina, where he was involved in the area's conservation of natural and historical sites.
Although the date and place of publication of this painting are not known, Stick produced at least one similar image for the Mayhew and Isbell Lumber Company in 1925. The ranger-type hats and red and white neckerchief appear in many of Stick's paintings of wilderness scenes.
Permalink to this object: